AACUSS Workshop and Conference Cancellation Policy
The following guidelines have been developed to protect the association, hosting institution, and individual from incurring significant costs resulting from conference/workshop cancellation by the association or an individual’s inability to attend due to any reason.
When the association cancels the conference/workshop:
- All those registered for the conference will be refunded the full amount of registration fees
- If the registration fee included membership for a non AACUSS member, the attendee may obtain a complete refund, in which case they would not be classified as a member, or a refund less that membership portion.
When the individual cancel’s his/her registration:
- A cancellation for prepaid conference/workshop registration received in writing up to 14 days prior to the conference/workshop date will be issued a full refund.
- A cancellation for prepaid conference/workshop registration less than 14 calendar days prior to the conference date will provide the participant one of the following two options:
i.) A delegate substitution
The participant who is canceling their registration may opt to send a substitute from their institution.
ii.) A conference/workshop credit voucher
A credit voucher for the next upcoming conference/workshop within the year will be issued to the canceling member for the participant’s use – this voucher is non-transferable and is valued at the dollar amount paid. If the next event is at a higher cost, the delegate must pay the difference.
In order to have the cancellation request processed, participants will be required to submit a completed cancellation form available from the AACUSS website
TRAVEL COSTS and INSURANCE
Registration fees do not include insurance of any kind. It is strongly recommended that participants purchase their own general travel insurance and have proper coverage. It is suggested that the insurance policy should cover loss of fees/deposit, airfares, accommodation charges, medical expenses, loss or damage to personal property and repatriation expenses.
The Insurance should cover loss arising from the cancellation of the conference by the organizers or a person’s inability to attend due to any reason whatsoever. No responsibility is taken by the association for any person not holding insurance.
- It is strongly recommended that all members traveling by air purchase cancellation/travel insurance from the airline they are traveling with. AACUSS will not reimburse the cost of the flight in the event of a conference or workshop cancellation.
All other costs incurred including but not limited to accommodation and car rental will also not be covered by AACUSS in the event that a conference or workshop has been cancelled. It is up to the member to fully educate themselves on the polices their providers offer concerning cancellation and refunds prior to booking these services.
The conference planning committee is advised to structure the conference/workshop registration process using the following guidelines:
- early bird registration with a reduced conference fee
- regular fee registration time period
- late registration fee of $50.00 in addition to the regular conference fee.
The conference/workshop host institution is responsible for ensuring the appropriate dates for the early bird registration, registration and late registration are posted on the website as well as the conference/workshop registration form. A copy of the cancellation policy identifying the appropriate dates must accompany each registration form as well. All registrations for conference/workshops must be accompanied by payment via credit card or cheque.
In the event that a conference or workshop has been cancelled by the association;
- costs associated with booking both goods and services associated with that conference will be taken into consideration for reimbursement on a case by case basis.
- An effort will be made to ensure the host institution will be given a priority in hosting the next event, in which case purchased items can still be used.
- The airline cancellation penalty fees incurred by AACUSS executive members required to be in attendance will be covered by the association.