Justin Stoodley, NBCC
Have you ever struggled to stay motivated? It can be tough working in Student Affairs, you must adapt, work on multiple projects, “be on” most of the time, and not everybody understands what we do. Are there any words of wisdom that help you remember the reason you do what you do? I asked my colleagues at NBCC (New Brunswick Community College) to share with us some of the quotes that they have on their walls that they use to help get through the day with a smile, and here are a few:
1. “Knowledge is Power” – Francis Bacon
Lee Murphy Nobbs, Career and Wellbeing Counsellors says that when working through challenges, be they academic or personal in nature, inevitably we learn what does not work before we come up with a better way. Because of our uniqueness as individuals, in particular, self-knowledge is one of those intangible perks gained as students navigate difficult tasks and pass crossroads along their post-secondary journey. That self-knowledge is something you can put in your pocket – it’s as useful as the certificate or diploma you earn, and similarly, it will always be there for you when you need it in the future.
2. “For what it’s worth … it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit. Start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people who have different points of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” – Eric Roth
Victoria Scott, Learning Strategist has Eric Roth’s quote hanging on her office door. She has always found strength and motivation in it. She mentions that she feels this quote speaks to a lot of our students that have chosen to come to college, in many cases after having spent time living (and working) a life that they were not satisfied with. Victoria states that she is constantly amazed and inspired by the stories of students and the courage it takes to change the direction of their lives, and how we are humbled to be a part of that process.
3. “Are you here with the solution or are you part of the problem?
Dale Finnamore, Regional Operations Manager says that everyone needs to step up to make things better. “I don’t want someone coming into my office simply to complain.” What are the options, how should things be changed? Everyone can make a difference in the organization just by taking responsibility or by offering solutions or at least offering to help be part of the solution.
4. “No One rises to low expectations.” – Les Brown
Penny Chase, Manager of Student Development stumbled upon this quote a while ago and it has really stuck with her. She states that we all need a reminder to challenge ourselves, and those around us, to grow! Don’t be happy with the status quo; you can always do / be more.
5. “Don’t tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon” – Paul Brandt
I have found this to be a great quote. It reminds me from a personal perspective, and from a leadership perspective that there are no limits to what we can accomplish! If we can send a man to the moon, then we can all achieve the impossible.
What these quotes remind me is that we all change lives, we genuinely change lives. Wherever you are working in Student Affairs, you change lives because the work you do is critical to a student’s success.
You have seen some of our favorite quotes that help us and refresh, WHAT WOULD YOU ADD TO THIS LIST?